- Arranged to refinance the palace to pay for a lot we bought in Torrey, UT near Capitol Reef National Park. I still can’t believe that we ended up in a community not on Highway 89, but having looked almost as long as I drove that highway for the project, and considering the compromises to maintain marital harmony, this is what works for us. It’s bare land with excellent water rights, and we are very excited to make this step. The next steps aren’t so clear, but we should have title in a couple of weeks.
- Had a party to show off the proofs. Bryan made some pictures. I was too busy enjoying myself. The first box of books actually arrived the day before, and we put a couple out as a surprise.
- Sold my first book. I said the first box was for reviewers, and I have sent them out. But I got an email before Thanksgiving from someone who said that the only thing her mom wanted for her birthday was a copy of my book. Near as I can figure, I met her at the Sanpete Cowboy Expo. I had just been teling someone about how the doing of the project brought me to Phoenix a lot to spend time with my mom, and I couldn’t say no.
- Signed my first book. That isn’t going to get old for a while. My brother-in-law had the best idea, though, I somehow found myself on the guest list of the Governor’s Art Awards ceremony at the mansion last week. So I took a book to give to Governor and Mrs. Herbert, and I got them to sign a copy of mine on the page with the State Street/Utah Capitol picture. I love what he wrote, “what a wonderful book, particularly the parts regarding Utah.” I hope to fill it up with signatures as I travel around this summer to promote the book.
li>Put together a press kit for the Highway 89 project. Not really that difficult once I started assembling the pieces. I’m sending it out to potential reviewers and vendors now that I have it.
- Keyworded 18,000+ images. Getting faster as I build my keyword list. I decided to sprinkle metadata lightly (title and a few keywords) on all my images. Once I rate them, I may go back and add more to the highly ranked ones. As for ratings, I’m liking the system proposed by Peter Krogh: 1 star means “show to client,” 2 starts means “best of subject/pose/group,” 3 stars means best of session/outing or “pick me!” Four and 5 stars are reserved for portfolio quality and lifetime achievements. I still have another 20,000+ to keyword before I give it up completely.
- Completed a comprehensive 3-2-1 back-up of every RAW file, an off-site copy and a workflow to move forward. I ended up buying another 1.5TB drive rather than moving files in a hopscotch game across a motley collection of drives. R is in charge of bringing home the weekly exchange of 2TB drives to make off-site back-ups of my working files.
- Made my first sales call. Got an order. It was awesome. This might not be a complete financial disaster.
- Made room to store 3 pallets of books. Actually R did this while I keyworded or knit or something, but we are ready. And not a moment too soon. My container has already cleared customs, and were it not for a humongous winter storm shutting down I-15, it might have been delivered today. I heard from the dispatcher yesterday, but nothing since.
So here it sits. So close, but one last waiting period.