The DAM project moves forward, one DVD at a time. I’ve burned all of 2008 in the new system, and about 50% of 2009. Two more hard drives and a “toaster” (my description) to swap the drives. With the motley collection of drives I have on hand, I think I am set to move forward.
The 3-2-1 concept has always made abundant sense: 3 copies of my data, on 2 different media and 1 off-site copy. Hard drives do fail, but I’d rank that risk below several others: theft of my DROBO or accidental erasure of overwriting (operator error-let’s keep it real), to name two. Macs aren’t prone to viruses, but data corruption is still another issue. And when things go wrong in my world, they tend to replicate far beyond the original fault. A binder of DVDs isn’t going to walk out of the house, and I can’t overwrite the DVDs, so making them adds another level of protection in addition to my hard drive copies.
My previous workflows made the back-up process a project in itself. I hadn’t developed an intake system that worked to keep my files and drives up-to-date and synced as I collected new files. The key is going to be downloading straight into Lightroom, systematically putting new files into straight into folders limited to DVD-sized chunks and trusting my catalog to find files, instead of my old method of hunting down stuff based on memory of what was in named file folders. Gaining trust in LR depends on my ability to rapidly and efficiently add metadata to all those files.
I am NOT going to attempt to completely keyword all my files to stock sales standards. I’d never get it done, and my system would fail. I did a five hour test last week where I added titles, location and a few keywords to batches of files. I was able to get through about 3,000 images, getting faster as I developed my keyword lists and Lightroom skills.
I am enjoying (and getting distracted by) revisiting some of my old images, the ones I liked but didn’t make it into the U.
S. Highway 89 book. The two flights with Adriel Heisey are some of my best memories of doing this work, and I could only include one image. I’m also seeing how much Adobe’s Camera RAW engine has been improved since I shot some of this stuff (as have my chops).
All good, and I’m investing time now for the long haul. It’s worht it-there are plenty more pictures I need to make.